Thursday, July 17, 2008

Reflection 6 Assignment 4: Creating an Interactive Timeline

Creating an interactive timeline was a very exciting assignment. I had to create a free account with CircaVie and pick an event in my life to create a timeline on. My timeline was on a trip I took to the west coast. Click here to see it! http://www.circavie.com/timelines/181ceff9-e90d-5993-a4df-78f3ddeb09ca
After completing this assignment, I realized that this could be an excellent strategy for teaching sequence in my seventh grade math class. However, this week I learned that when exposing students to the internet there are certain dangers associated with it.

This week’s discussion was on the dangers associated with using the internet and the strategies teachers can use to minimize the risk. Exposure to inappropriate behavior as well as your personal information, physical danger, and harassment are all negative side effects to using the internet. Unfortunately, children and young adults live in a naïve world. They do not see all the negative possibilities when using the internet for social networking, chatting, e-mailing, and instant messaging. Social networking sites are the biggest challenge for adults when teaching kids how to use them appropriately. As educators, I think one of the best things we can do to minimize the internet risks are to teach the students how to be productive on the internet. I always make my students a handout when we go to the computer lab for class time. It has instructions for their assignments and then it always has about ten or more websites that they can choose to visit for “fun.” Of course, they are all education sites!

No comments: